top of page



SUFFOLK AND ESSSEX FREE PRESS – 25 March 1858 – “TENDRING.- At a meeting of the guardians on the 17th, the following tenders for supplies were accepted:- For twelve months: malt, hops, and London porter, Messrs. Daniells and Cooper, East Donyland.”


CHELMSFORD CHRONICLE – 16 December 1881 – “MELANCHOLY DEATH OF A YOUNG GENTLEMAN AT DONYLAND. Mr. Howard Davis, a young gentleman between 18 and 19 years of age, a pupil at Messrs. Daniell and Co.’s East Donyland Brewery, met with his death under shocking circumstances on Friday last. While he was engaged on the uppermost floor of the brewery, about half-past seven in the morning, Mr. Robert Thomas Daniell, of Heath House, requested him to go down to the second floor and shut off the steam, in order to stop the engines. The engine in question is an ordinary isolating engine, which is set in motion by lowering a lever from a perpendicular to a sloping position, and stopped by raising the lever to the perpendicular. Ordinarily it is only worked from its upright position to the right, and not towards the fly-wheel; but there being no stop of any kind on the lever, the engine can be set in motion by depressing the lever either to the right or to the left. The engine is protected by a high wooden rail, over which it was the duty of every person to lean when about to set the machinery in motion, or bring it to a standstill. On receiving instructions from Mr. Daniell to go down and stop this engine, deceased immediately did so, and according to his own subsequent utterances, this is what happened. Some carpenters were at work in the brewery that morning, and had been carrying up pieces of wood to the top floor. Deceased seems to have been unaware of the fact that they had finished carrying up the wood and as they would have to pass near the platform on which it was usual to stand when stopping or starting the engine, he got under the rail, as he had done on other occasions, to be out of the way of the men. He then seized the lever rod with his left hand, the piston of the engine revolving on his right, near the floor, and the fly-wheel, broadside to him, close to the wall. As he pushed the lever into the perpendicular, he seems to have lost his balance, and the weight of his body was thrown forward upon the lever. This rod, having no stop, although it goes somewhat stiffly, yielded, and threw deceased prostrate upon the ground. The left arm, which grasped the lever, was thrust forward into the revolving fly-wheel, and fractured, while at the same moment, as he lay upon the floor, the piston, at its junction with the engine crank, struck him on the side and back several times with great violence. He screamed, and managed to roll away from the engine. Mr. Daniell and others were promptly upon the spot, the services of Mr. Ling were procured, the unfortunate young gentleman was carried to Heath House, and everything possible was done for him, but without avail, death ensuing between one and two o’clock the same day. Deceased was born in India, but his friends now reside near London. He had been at the brewery about eleven months, and was much esteemed by everybody. - Mr. W. Codd held an inquiry into the circumstances at Sergeant’s beerhouse, Donyland-heath, on Monday, when a verdict of “Accidental Death” was returned.”


ESSEX STANDARD – 17 December 1881 – “SAD FATAL OCCURRENCE AT EAST DONYLAND BREWERY…. On Friday morning, Dec. 9th, an accident, unfortunately attended with fatal consequences, and which cast quite a gloom over the parish and neighbourhood, occurred at East Donyland, near Colchester…. On Monday an inquest was held by Mr. Wm. Codd, Coroner, at Sergeant’s beerhouse, Donyland-heath, the Jury being composed as follows:- Messrs. Daniel Abbott Green (Foreman), Harry Havens, James Norfolk, Abraham Robinson, Walter Levett, Peter Harris, John Jennings, Charles Crosley [Crosby?], Hugh Burton, Albert Crickmore, Robert Oliver James, and Douglas Crickmore.

After viewing the body, and also the engine which caused the accident, the following evidence was taken:-

 Mr. Robert Thomas Daniell deposed – Deceased was a pupil at the East Donyland Brewery. He was 18 years of age. On Friday morning last, about half-past seven o’clock, we were at the brewery together, on the same floor. Deceased went down to stop the machinery, whilst I remained at attend to that above. As I stopped the machinery above, I heard deceased call out, but I could not hear what he said. I thought something was wrong with the machinery at first, but, on looking down the ladder, I saw him lying on the floor, close to the engine. I ran down at once. The engine was not touching him when I got to him, as he had got away from it. He was quite sensible. I said, “Whatever’s the matter?” He said “Oh, my arm is broken, and it hit me in the back three times.” It was the head of the piston, where it fastened to the crank, that had struck him. I picked him up, and at once sent for the doctor. Whilst the messenger was gone, deceased still complained of his arm very much, and I put it in a splint, roughly, to support it, and gave him some brandy. I then left him in charge of two men, and went myself for Dr. Ling, surgeon. I got a conveyance and had deceased taken to my house, where he died at about twenty minutes past one. I was at that time in London fetching his mother down. Deceased has been a pupil at the brewery about eleven months, and has been constantly in the habit of turning the steam off to stop the machinery. He was a very pleasant and cheerful fellow, and we have been always very happy together.

 By the Jury. The engine was in motion when I got to it, and owing to the lever-rod being pushed into the engine, the fly-wheel made it go faster. He was clear of it, and as far as I can tell, the engine struck him when it was going very slowly.

 By the Foreman. He was lying almost immediately under the rail. He said, when he told me that it struck him three times, that he got away from it.

 By the Coroner. When the lever is upright, the engine is stopped. I think instead of pushing it merely upright, he pushed it over too far, and his arm went into the wheel. I think he must have then fallen down, and the engine struck him in the side. There is no stop beyond which the lever could not go. Deceased was well acquainted with the fact that when the lever was in a vertical position, all steam was shut off. When the lever is pushed over too far, it starts the engine on again. The engine has been in work 25 years, and we have never had an accident with it before.

 By the Foreman. The engine is similar to those in use at other breweries, and far less dangerous than some I have seen.

 George Anderson, labourer at the brewery, residing at Old Heath, said – On Friday last I was at work at the brewery, in the floor above where the accident happened. About half-past seven in the morning I heard deceased scream. I immediately went to the top of the ladder with a lantern, and on going down I saw Mr. Davis on the floor, near the engine. He said, “I have broken my arm.” Mr. Daniell then sent at once for the doctor. When I first looked down I saw deceased in the act of rolling away from the engine. The accident might [not] have happened if he had been outside the rail, as only a few days before I pushed the lever a little too far, and hurt my finger.

Charles Jeffery Harvey, pupil at the brewery, said – The first I saw of deceased on Friday was when he was brought up to the house, about nine o’clock in the morning, after the accident. I assisted to carry him in. He told me he had broken his arm. I asked him how the accident happened, when he said, “I went down below to shut off the engine. There were some men about to come up with a piece of wood, and to get out of the way, I got under the bar. I pushed the lever with which the engine is shut off too far, so that it caught the fly-wheel. I was then thrown down, and the piston-rod arm struck me three times, and then I rolled away.”

 By the Foreman. I do not know that it would have been compulsory for him to get under the bar to be out of the way, but he would be more out of the way then.

 A Juryman said he had seen pupils get under the bar to get out of the way when anybody was passing on the landing.

Mr. Daniell added that two carpenters were carrying a piece of wood up at the time.

 Samuel Brown, carpenter and joiner, Wyvenhoe, deposed: I was at the brewery on Friday last, working for Mr. Daniell. I was not carrying up wood at the time the accident happened. I had been carrying up wood previously, but I had not passed deceased on the floor where the accident happened. I and my mate were on the top floor, alongside Mr. Daniell, when deceased screamed out. We had finished taking the wood up about ten minutes before the accident happened, and Mr. Davis was on the top floor with us when we finished. I heard Mr. Daniell direct deceased to go down and stop the engine, and he went down to do so, leaving us all on the top floor.

 Mary Ann Moss, wife of Wm. Moss, and housekeeper to Mr. Robert Daniell, said – About nine o’clock on Friday morning last deceased was brought to the house much injured. I asked him how he did it, and he said, “It’s my fault; I did not go to the proper place to stop the engine; I reached over somewhere.” I said, “Have you done it before?” He replied, “Yes, lots of times.” He told me that he shoved the handle too far.

 Mr. Charles Arthur Squire Ling said – About half past seven on Friday morning last I was sent for to Mr. Daniell’s brewery to see deceased. I found him lying on his back on the floor, about six feet from the engine. I examined him, and found that his left arm was fractured, and there was a lacerated wound in the right loin. It was bleeding, and had bled a good deal. I bandaged up the wound, and had him removed to Mr. Daniell’s house, where I again attended him. I again dressed his wounds. I thought it was a very serious case. There is no doubt that there was laceration of some internal vessels, and much internal haemorrhage. The bones of the pelvis were disconnected if not fractured, and there is no doubt that there was laceration of some internal blood-vessels. I left him about half-past ten, and returned about a quarter-part one, just in time to see him breathe his last. I consider his death was due to shock to the system, accelerated by internal haemorrhage and consequent loss of blood. I feared at first it would be fatal, but I thought that perhaps he might linger a little longer. I felt sure it would terminate fatally.

 The Coroner said he had no doubt that it was purely an accidental death. Deceased might have fancied that some more wood was about to be handed up, as the men had already been passing up with wood. In shutting off the steam he pushed the lever too far, right into the fly-wheel, which caught his arm, and threw him down. While he was down the piston arm struck him three times, and then he managed to roll away. Supposing there had been a stop to this lever, it could not possibly have happened. He thought that in engines of this description there should be a stop to the piston-rod, to prevent it going beyond a certain part.

 The Foreman agreed with the Coroner as to the necessity for a stop being placed to prevent the lever going too far. He thought such a stop might have prevented the accident, and that if one were put now it might prevent a similar accident in the future.

 The Coroner said it struck him that the protecting bar was too high for a man to lean over properly.

 Mr. Daniell pointed out that if the bar were lower there would be a danger of persons falling over it.

The Foreman suggested that the space between the rail and the floor be boarded up, and that the space on the other side of the engine be partially boarded up; he also hinted the desirability of a can being provided purposely for oiling the engine, so that the man who did it would not be obliged to go inside the barrier when the engine was working.

The Coroner said that Mr. Daniell was present, and had heard the suggestions that had been made. He had no doubt Mr. Daniell would take it into consideration as to whether a stop could be put to the lever, to prevent it going too far.

Mr. Daniell replied that if it were at all possible, it should be done; but the Jury must remember that there were other straps and things on the engine, and if a lever stop were added, it might be the cause of other dangers.

The Jury then returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”


ESSEX STANDARD – 31 October 1885 – “MARRIAGE OF MISS CLARA BLYTH AND MR. R.T. DANIELL.- A large congregation assembled at the parish Church of Tolleshunt Knights on Wednesday last, to witness the celebration of the nuptials of Miss Clara Blyth, second daughter of Mr. John Blyth, of Barn Hall, and Mr. Robert T. Daniell, of Donyland, Colchester, eldest son of Mr. S.T. Daniell. The Church had been prettily decorated for the occasion by the Misses Lethbridge (daughters of the Rector), and other ladies, and there were one or two triumphal arches, and the residents generally evidenced their regard for the bride by displaying bunting. The wedding party was conveyed to the Church in five or six carriages provided by Messrs. Siggers and Son, of Colchester. The bride was handsomely attired in a dress of white satin broche, with veil and wreath of orange blossoms, and was attended by four bridesmaids – Miss Emily Daniell (sister of the bridegroom), the Misses Ada and Florence Blyth (sisters of the bride), and a little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Francis, of Colchester. The latter was prettily dressed in white cashmere, and the others wore cream dresses with brown hats. The bridesmaids wore brooches given by the bridegroom. The service was performed by the Rev. E.C. Lethbridge, Rector of the parish, assisted by the Rev. R.V.O. Graves, Vicar of Tolleshunt D’Arcy, and “The Voice that breathed o’er Eden,” and another appropriate hymn, were sung, Miss Mary Seabrook presiding at the organ. The wedding presents numbered about 150, and included a handsome clock and lamp given to the bride by the poorer parishioners as a mark of the regard entertained for her. After the ceremony, the bells rang a merry peal, and the wedding party proceeded to Barn Hall, where an elegant wedding breakfast was served for about forty, the health of the bride and bridegroom being afterwards proposed by the Rector. In the afternoon the newly wedded pair left amid the usual shower of rice and slippers, en route for London and Bournemouth, to spend the honeymoon. There was a dance at barn Hall in the evening. During the afternoon the workmen and boys employed by Mr. Blyth, numbering between 30 and 40, were entertained to a dinner at the Village Inn.

 On the day of the wedding there was a profuse display of bunting at East Donyland, and a large white ensign was hoisted at the top of the Brewery. The Brewery employés together with Mr. Daniell’s farm servants were entertained at a dinner at the Anchor Inn at 1 p.m. The chair was occupied by Mr. H.R. Bartlett, who was supported by a few friends specially invited. After the usual loyal toasts, the Chairman in an appropriate speech proposed “The health of the Bride and Bridegroom,” which was drunk with the utmost enthusiasm, and with musical honours. “The health of Mr. S.T. Daniell” was proposed by Mr. Nunn, and received with an equal expression of good will. Other toasts followed, interspersed with several other capital songs. At 6.30 p.m. the company, now augmented by the addition of their wives and sweethearts, sat down to a capital tea, and after spending a very enjoyable evening, dispersed at a late hour. Cordial votes of thanks were accorded to the generous donor of the feast, and also to Host Cook and his helpers.”


ESSEX STANDARD – 10 August 1889 – “DEATH OF MR. SHEPHERD T. DANIELL.- We regret to have to announce the death of Mr. Shepherd Thos. Daniell, which sad event took place at his residence, West Stockwell Street, on Sunday evening. The deceased gentleman, who was 63 years of age, and a man of remarkably quiet and retiring disposition, was a highly respected inhabitant of the Borough, and his loss will be deeply deplored by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. We believe that Mr. Daniell was born at West Bergholt, being a son of the late Mr. Thos. Daniell, and he has for many years carried on the East Donyland Brewery, of which he was the proprietor, but latterly, owing to his failing health, his son, Mr. Robt. T. Daniell, has had almost the sole management of the business. About five years ago the deceased gentleman met with an accident whilst driving over to Donyland, being thrown out of his trap and sustaining a slight concussion of the brain, and ever since he had suffered more or less with his head. Indeed, about a year ago he was so ill that his life was despaired of, but he rallied and so far recovered that he was able to get about and in a measure to resume business. But about two months since he had another alarming attack, and notwithstanding every attention on the part of Dr. Maybury, his medical attendant, and those around him, his illness terminated fatally on Sunday evening, the cause of death being congestion of the brain complicated by heart disease. Mr. Daniell was a Liberal in politics, and a member of Lion Walk Congregational Church, and for 3 years, namely, from 1883 to 1885, he had a seat on the Town Council, as a representative of the Second Ward. He leaves three sons and two daughters. The funeral took place at the Colchester Cemetery on Thursday, the cortege, consisting of a funeral car and six or seven carriages, leaving the deceased’s residence in West Stockwell Street at half-past two o’clock….. “ Among those in attendance were… the Rev. H.E. Lufkin (East Donyland) and “a number of the employees at the Donyland Brewery (about 25), also attended, and some of them acted as bearers.”


ESSEX STANDARD – 31 August 1889 – “COLCHESTER (COUNTY) – Aug. 24. THE BABY DRANK SOME BEER.- Frederick Barnard (11), Emily Faiers (14), Wm. Rayner (8), and Averon Powell (10), all of East Donyland, were charged with having, on the 12th inst., stolen two gallons of beer at that place, the property of Messrs. S.T. Daniell and Co., of the East Donyland Brewery.- Mr. C.E. White prosecuted on behalf of the Wyvenhoe Association for the Protection of Property. He said that, by direction of Messrs. Daniell, a cask of beer had been placed in a tent alongside the Quay, and opposite their business premises. The girl Faiers appeared to have obtained a bottle, and all the defendants then entered the tent and stole a quantity of beer. Faiers took the bottle into her parents’ house and gave some beer to the baby. (Laughter.) – Mr. J.B. Moody, a clerk in the employ of the firm, deposed that they kept casks of beer for export in a tent on the Quay at East Donyland. On the morning of the day in question he visited the tent and found the casks full. After he left the defendants secured a bottle, extracted a bung from one of the casks (putting a different one in its place), and filled the bottle.- Rupert Harry Wardley, aged 10, who was with defendants, was next called as a witness, and on being asked by the MAGISTRATES’ CLERK if he knew who would punish him if he told a lie, he replied “Father would, with a horsewhip.” (Laughter.) This witness proved that after they procured the beer they went to the girl Faiers’ house and drank it.- In answer to the Bench as to whether the girl Faiers drank any, witness replied in the affirmative, and added, “She also gave the baby some.” (Laughter.) – Mr. White said that Messrs. Daniell did not wish to press the case, but they thought that if the Bench could see their way clear to birch the boys, it would have a better result than imprisoning them. – Barnard, who had previously been convicted and was stated to be a troublesome boy, was ordered to receive six strokes of the birch rod, whilst the other defendants were ordered to appear in two months time, their conduct to be reported on in the meantime.”


ESSEX COUNTY STANDARD – Saturday 15 September 1894 – “BREWERY BEAN FEAST – On Thursday the employees of Messrs. S.T. Daniell and Co., of the Donyland Brewery, had their Bean Feast, and chose Yarmouth as the place to spend a happy day. The men assembled at 2 o’clock at the Dukes Head Hotel, and partook of a substantial and well served dinner. Mr. O. Blyth occupied the chair, and was supported by Messrs. Chapman, Bucke, Wainscott, and Downing, the Vice being occupied by Mr. Leonard Daniell. The speeches were numerous and some capital songs and recitations were given, all expressing themselves exceedingly well pleased with the outing. A notable item was the presentation by the workmen of a silver flask to Mr. Leonard Daniell (who is leaving the Brewery for another appointment in the West) as a token of their goodwill and respect.- Mr. Daniell, in a few well chosen words, testified his pleasure at the unexpected presentation and their exceedingly kind expressions, and trusted he might meet with as good a body of workmen as he was sorry to leave behind.- The health of Mr. Blyth was given with musical honours, and in responding Mr. Blyth expressed his great pleasure at being one of the party and his best wishes for the next gathering.”


ESSEX COUNTY STANDARD – 21 November 1896 – “THE SHOCKING SCALDING ACCIDENT AT DONYLAND BREWERY – DEATH OF THE INJURED MAN. On Monday afternoon, Nov. 16., Mr. A.E. Church (Coroner for the Borough of Colchester) held an inquest at the Essex and Colchester Hospital, on the body of Wm. Jas. Petitt, a “copper sidesman,” employed at Messrs. S.T. Daniell and Co.’s Brewery at East Donyland, whose sad accident through falling from a ladder into a copper of boiling beer (which terminated fatally on Saturday morning) was reported last week in our columns. Mr. O. Blyth and Mr. Adams attended from the Brewery to represent Messrs. S.T. Daniell and Co.

 The Coroner, in opening the inquest, stated that the deceased was a single man, about 23 years of age, and had been a copper sidesman in the employ of Messrs. S.T. Daniell and Co, of East Donyland. He was a steady man and a good workman, and had been in Messrs. S.T. Daniell & Co.’s employ about six months. On Wednesday evening, about six o’clock, he went to the top of the Brewery, and subsequently he was met coming down by two witnesses, to whom he said he had slipped into the copper and scalded himself. Deceased was attended on the spot by Dr. Squire, and went to the Hospital at Colchester, where he succumbed on Saturday morning. When he received particulars of this case, the Coroner added, it was his duty to communicate with the Inspector of factories and Workshops at Norwich, informing him that it was proposed to hold the inquest, but that morning he had received a telegram from the Inspector stating that he was too ill to attend to-day, and asking that the inquest might be adjourned over Wednesday. An Act of Parliament was very strict in regard to this matter, and Inspectors were entitled to four days within which to attend. He would therefore now simply take the evidence of the father – so that they might give the order for the burial of the body – and the medical man; then the other evidence could be given at any other time they thought proper.

 Isaac Petitt, foreman malster, of 60, Cannon Street, Bury St. Edmund’s, said deceased, whom he identified, was his son and was a single man, 23 years of age. Until about six months ago deceased lived at Bury St. Edmund’s, and had been employed both at the brewery and the malt-house – he had been for about eight months in the malt-house of Messrs. Greene, King, & Co., as floorman. He then went to Messrs. S.T. Daniell & Co.’s at East Donyland, and witness last saw him alive on Oct. 25, when he appeared to be in his usual health. Deceased always enjoyed good health. Witness knew nothing of the accident.

 Mr. J.E. Bates, House Surgeon at the Essex and Colchester Hospital, who was sworn in Scotch fashion, with uplifted hand, said deceased was admitted to the Hospital about eight o’clock on Wednesday night, Nov. 11, and he was at once taken into the general Ward. He was not in much pain. He was all bandaged up, having apparently been medically attended before being brought to the Hospital. On arrival at the Hospital the bandages were undone, and it was found he was very severely scalded about both legs, the skin being right off the soles of the feet, and the legs covered with large blisters, which extended to the top of the thigh on the right side and up to the waist on the left. His left arm up to the elbow was in a similar condition. Deceased did not suffer so much pain as witness expected, but he suffered from shock, though he was not unconscious. Mr. Laver saw him, and he had every attention. He lingered till shortly before 1 a.m. on Saturday morning, when he died from shock to the system, caused by the injuries. Witness should say that deceased’s occupation as a brewer, and having drunk a good deal, hastened his death. Brewers were notoriously bad at withstanding wounds of any kind.

The Coroner. Not able to withstand the shock?

Witness. No.

The Coroner. You have heard he was a sober, steady man?

Witness. Well, he told us himself he was allowed eight pints of beer a day at the Brewery. I don’t say he took it all, of course.

The Coroner. If I were to take eight pints a day I don’t know where I should be.

Witness. They get used to it.

Replying to further questions by the Coroner, witness said it was quite right to send deceased to the Hospital, and there was no harm in his being removed there from Donyland. Deceased did not complain of any one at all, but merely said he had fallen off a ladder into a boiling copper. He did not say what the copper contained.

The Coroner said that was all the evidence he proposed to take to-day, in the absence of the Factory Inspector, who was at liberty to attend the inquest if he liked.

The enquiry was ultimately adjourned till Thursday afternoon for the attendance of the Factory Inspector, the Coroner remarking that it would not take long.

There were also two other witnesses to call, who met deceased just after the accident. No one, it appeared, saw deceased fall into the copper.


The adjourned inquest concerning the death of the man Pettitt (sic)… [evidence as previously stated] …. Mr. Hoare, the District Inspector of Factories, was present, and was willing to give them any assistance in his power.

Mr. Squire, of Wyvenhoe, spoke to being called to the Brewery just after the occurrence. On the first floor he found Pettitt sitting on a chair, with most of his clothing removed. His left forearm, both legs, and left thigh were scalded. He was perfectly sober, but made no statement beyond saying he was in great pain and felt cold. Witness suggested his removal to the Hospital, as he was living in lodgings, and after dressing the scalds he was removed with every care. There must have been a certain amount of liquid among the spent hops where deceased fell, and it would have the same effect as boiling beer. Death, he considered, ensued from shock from the scalds.

 The Coroner remarked that he hardly saw the necessity of calling Dr. Squire, but as the Jury expressed a wish that he should be, he fell in with their wishes.

 A Juryman said the reason they wished the doctor to attend was to ascertain whether it was necessary to remove deceased’s bandages and dressings on his arrival at the Hospital.

Witness said he fully intended the dressing to be temporary. He had no proper dressings with him, but obtained plenty of soft linen and some good oil, quite expecting that they would be removed at the Hospital.

Mr. H.A. Adams, brewer to Messrs. S.T. Daniell, said deceased had been with them about six months, and was a copper sidesman, whose duty was to clean out the copper. He thoroughly understood his work. About 6 p.m. on the day of the occurrence witness was in the fermenting room two floors below the copper where deceased fell from the ladder, when deceased came down and held up his left hand, exclaiming “Look what I have done; I have scalded myself.” Witness took him to the lavatory, and placed him on a chair, cut off his clothing, and sent for a blanket to wrap him in. Dr. Squire was at once sent for, and arrived in about 15 minutes. As far as he could see the insteps and legs and left forearm were scalded. Deceased made no complaint as to anything or anybody, and made no statement to him as to how the scalding occurred. When he saw deceased a quarter of an hour before the occurrence, he was perfectly sober. It was against witness’s orders that he was in the upper room, for he had told him never to go into the copper to clear hops for the strainer by himself. He was always accompanied by witness or another man, and did not go down until nearly all the wort, or extract from the malt, was out. On this occasion the wort had been boiling. The copper had been in use about four months, and a new strainer was used the day before the occurrence. There was no reason for deceased to go down the copper that night. About ten minutes afterwards witness went to look at the copper, and found about 1½ft. of spent hops, full of moisture. The wort had all run out some time before, and deceased might have ascertained that before going down by using a pole. The ladder had been shifted from the copper when witness saw it, but it was found inside, having fallen sideways, by another man. The ladder was an ordinary one and was perfectly safe if another man held it, as was the custom. He agreed that perhaps it might be better to have claws on the ladder to hold it.

Mr. Hoare said he thought if claws were used it would stop the practice of another man hold it, which in his opinion would not be so safe.

Witness thought that with the new strainer it would probably be unnecessary to go down. He would like to point out that deceased was allowed four pints of beer a day and not eight, as had been stated at the first sitting.

 The Coroner. They generally magnify these things about double.

A Juryman. Particularly teetotallers.

By the Foreman. The copper was 8ft. or 9ft. deep, and had a concave bottom. The strainer could not be cleared by any means except by a man descending to clear the corroded hops. The man never left the ladder, and cleared them away with a spade, in order to allow what remained of the wort to run away.

By Mr. Hoare. He had never had to warn deceased before, and did not hear anyone complain that night of the strainer being choked or the wort having stopped running. With the new strainer the wort ran exceedingly well.

By a Juror. The scalding of deceased’s feet was in his opinion attributable to the fact that the hops got inside deceased’s clogs when he fell.

Geo. Watcham, fermenting room man, said that deceased told him the ladder slipped and he fell. Either the previous witness or witness himself had been with deceased when he had gone into the copper before, to hold the ladder, and it was contrary to orders to go down alone. The ladder was sound enough. Deceased, who lodged with him, was a steady man.

By Mr. Hoare. It was deceased’s duty to clear the copper in the morning, and he had never known him to do it at night after the wort had run out.

 Mr. Adams explained that it was impossible for a man to fall into the copper from the floor, as the top was three or four feet high. He could form no idea why deceased went to the copper, except to see how the new strainer worked.

 Mr. Hoare said the copper was of very good construction and in good order, and he saw nothing to complain of or to recommend as the subject of a rider. His experience was that 17 out of every 20 men who happened with accidents were doing something which they ought not to be doing at the time.

 The Jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased died from shock to the system, due to an accident, and that no blame was attachable to anyone. They expressed sympathy with deceased’s relatives, which Mr. O. Blyth, representing Messrs. Daniell and Son, promised to convey to the proper quarter.”


ESSEX COUNTY STANDARD – 23 September 1899 – “EAST DONYLAND – EMPLOYEES’ OUTING.- On Saturday, Sept. 16, through the generosity of Messrs. Daniell, Ltd., the employees of the Donyland Brewery enjoyed their annual outing. The party left Wyvenhoe by the 9.2. a.m. train for London, a visit being paid to Earls Court, where a most enjoyable time was spent. Wyvenhoe was reached by the midnight train.”

ESSEX COUNTY STANDARD – 3 May 1924. “PROPERTY MARKET – ROWHEDGE. Messrs. F.S. Daniell offered for sale at the Corn Exchange, Colchester, on Saturday, April 26th, the freehold mercantile property, lately known as Donyland Brewery, and a newly erected freehold double-fronted bungalow residence in Regent Street, Rowhedge. Both lots were withdrawn.”

Donyland Brewery - Octavius Blyth.jpg

Donyland Brewery - Octavius Blyth

Donyland Brewery 01.jpg
Donyland Brewery 02.jpg
Donyland Brewery 03.jpg
Donyland Brewery 04.jpg
Donyland Brewery 05.jpg
Donyland Ale Stores.jpg
Octavius Blyth  - Delivering to the Dog
Octavius Blyth - Delivering to the Dog & Pheasant, East Mersea
Harris - Rowhedge 1876 apparently.jpg
Donyland Brewery, Rowhedge, from the river
Donyland Brewery 07.jpg
bottom of page